As a general rule, I don’t do rants, vents, day-to-day mundane, routine stuff. Not on this blog, nor on my other blog. Just my preference. But once in a while I do a few reflections on my writing practice, some personal observations on blogging, blog anniversary posts, or other updates of blog related news. The last behind-the-blog news update I did was in September 2014, so I figured another will not be out of place!
During the last few months, and especially in the last few weeks this blog hasn’t seen much activity in terms of new posts. In fact, sometime around the middle of last year I had deliberately reduced the frequency of posting, and more importantly, had renewed (for myself) my intention to become more selective and conscious of what I publish on the blog. The slowing down of activity during the last few weeks was also because of some interventions from life and its rhythms.
But during this ‘slow’ time, some behind-the-scene action in terms of reading, researching, writing, revising has kept me happily busy. Some of it is still kind of work-in-progress, a few outcomes of which might get shared in the weeks and months to come, either on this blog or on Matriwords. For now, let me share just a few updates from this activity.
- A blogpost from March 2015, titled “Sounds of Silence” was expanded and revised for publication in the e-journal New Race: Journal of Integral Studies (August 2015 issue), published by Sri Aurobindo Centre for Advanced Research, Pondicherry. The editor had asked me to send some of my writings on ‘beauty’ for the journal, and this particular piece was selected by her because in her words, “it felt closer to her heart.” I was thrilled to hear that because that’s what I had wished for this piece to do, to speak to the heart of the reader/listener (a very special piece of music accompanies the writeup, with a hope to create a ‘feeling’ of inner silence).
- In May and June of last year, I did a 4-part series titled “Role of Ashrams in India” on Matriwords. That article also caught the attention of another editor who published a slightly modified version of it in the journal, Sraddha (Vol 7, no. 2, November 2015 issue), a quarterly publication of Sri Aurobindo Centre for Research in Social Sciences, Kolkata.
- Sraddha is the same journal which is publishing a series of our co-authored research articles (written by my husband as the first author), titled “The Organisational Cycle.” Two articles of the series have already been published over the past year, and the third one was recently completed and submitted to the journal. The ones that are already published can be accessed here and here.
- A three-part series that I first wrote for Social Potpourri was revised and expanded for publication in Collaboration: Journal of the Integral Yoga of Sri Aurobindo and the Mother (Vol. 40, no. 2, Fall 2015 issue), published by Sri Aurobindo Association, California, USA. This article, titled What’s the Right Thing to Do: A Meditation on Dharma, Reason and Offering is available in five parts on Matriwords.
- During the last few months I had an opportunity to mentor and guide a 30-something young man, an enthusiastic learner and a deeply committed worker to the cause of nation-building. He was interested in researching and studying selected writings of Sri Aurobindo on the topic of “spiritual nationalism.” I accepted this opportunity because I thought this would be a great way for me to immerse myself in some very special writings and speeches of Sri Aurobindo from his revolutionary days. It was an absolute joy to re-read the Master’s words as I identified appropriate reading selections for my learner. The discussions we had on some of the key ideas explored in those writings made the experience more uplifting and inspiring. Some specific passages and ideas from these writings and speeches provided wonderful opportunities for deep contemplation as we also explored their significance and truth-value for the present context. Perhaps in the coming weeks or months some of the insights gained from this learning experience will find a way to express themselves in writings which may appear either here on on Matriwords.
That’s it for this edition of behind-the-blog update! More when I have more news.
Linking with ABC Wednesday, B: B is for Behind-the-blog
Linking with Blog-A-Rhythm, Wordy Wednesday, B prompt, Behind-the-blog